Subject: boot disk configuration VAXstation4000vlc
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Norbert Koch <NKoch@gmx.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2001 15:27:52
Hello all,

sorry if this is some kind of rtfm question:

I was quite successful in netbooting NetBSD1.5 on a VAXstation3100
and a VAXstation4000vlc from FreeBSD4.1 running on a pc.

Now I try to directly boot from the built in scsi drive
of my 4000vlc (looks like Conner 120MB).
I used disklabel to write boot blocks and partition
the scsi drive. When I try to boot I see this:

">>> show dev"
" DKA300   A/3/0   DISK   121.64MB   FX   RZ23L   2528"
" ..HostID A/7     INITR                              "
">>> boot dka300"
" 85 RESTART SYS"
" 84 FAIL"
" 83 BOOT SYS"
""

So I tried to netboot netbsd.ram.gz through mop and
use sysinst in case I did something wrong with disklabel.
But exactly the same happens.

What do I do wrong?
Do I have to specify the boot block file (which I did not)
or will disklabel automatically use the correct one (/usr/mdec/sdboot, I
suppose)?
Do I have to edit /etc/disktab or do I have to specify a certain disk type?
Does the scsi drive have to have a certain id?

Thank you in advance.

Norbert Koch