Subject: Booting VAXstation from tape
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Maciej Szymanski <myszymanski@poczta.wp.pl>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2001 14:01:35
Hello !

I've got a problem with booting my VAXstation 3100M48 from tape (TZ30).
(I know that there are better ways of booting NetBSD, however I think
tape is most copnvinient for me, and also I just like using tape
drives...)
I'm trying to boot NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 (and tried also 1.4.2 with same
result). Tape stops windig and I get messages:

>> NetBSD/vax boot [....
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
> boot netbsd
boot failed: Unknown error: code 32768037
> boot netbsd.gz
boot failed: ...

and so on. When trying to boot manualy, any boot commang gives:

Comman failed: Unknown error: code 32768037

I've trided 'bootroot.fs.gz' image also, with same result.

I'm preparing my tapes uner VMS, and there is one interesting thing.
When I gunzip 'boot.fs.gz' image using VMS gunzip, I can't write it to
tape, getting write error (while I can copy it on harddisk). When I
gunzip files on Linux/Intel machine, transfer unziped file  to VMS and
copy it to tape, it writes OK (but I still can't boot). I also tried to
write image without gunziping it, and it works exactly the same as
previous.

I think I've to try netbooting, but maybe someone know solution to this
problem.

Maciek