Subject: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/31/2001 12:17:37
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Chase" <bdc@world.std.com>
To: "Gunther Schadow" <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 11:51 AM

> The main hurdle I see with the 6000 is getting it to run on 2 or
> single phase power.  IIRC, these boxes are 3-phase
Correct.  It's not hard to make it single phase 220/240vac. Basically,
the mains box is a contactor and switching array only,
it then feeds the 3 phases to a huge autotransformer, which spits out 3
x 220v phases.
It is possible to do away with the tranny, (it's heavy!) tie the actives
together in the mains box, and take a single active to any one of the 3
inputs to the 300VDC supply, a neutral to the original neutral, and it
works.  This supplys 300vdc to the rest of the 5v/12v etc supplys, plus
24vdc for fans etc.
I'm doing a photo aided 'how to' on a the 6000 single phase conversion
at the moment, I will try and hurry it up for you.
Bear in mind that my 6k's are the 415Vv 50Hz variant, but the practical
differences should be trivial, probably just the autotransformer.

> And then I also need
> to upgrade my power here from 100A service to at least 200A.

Not really, unless you already have a lot of stuff.
They only consume around 500-600w, plus whatever drives and terms you
have.
FWIW, a 6000-440 at work here pulls just over 600w.  The HSC70 actually
pulls more, even though it's half the size. (Around 900w).

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College