Subject: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/30/2001 21:21:00
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> This is perfect. One could go to St. Louis the other to Bloomington.
> The only question is, do you want to work on advancing the NetBSD port
> to them? This is the critical issue. In any case I now know that I
> will take all of them home and will leave none of them to the junk
> yard.

I'd be happy to work on advancing the port.  It does sound like Ragge has
a significant chunk of VAX 6000 work done already.  I've got some down
time right now, and am working on getting fast internet connectivity to my
home.  The main hurdle I see with the 6000 is getting it to run on 2 or
single phase power.  IIRC, these boxes are 3-phase.  And then I also need
to upgrade my power here from 100A service to at least 200A.

So there are some things I'd need to resolve first.  I can certainly help
with the porting effort in terms of debugging and tuning code, though I
don't have the knowledge to write device drivers.  I can also help by
providing remote access to the console.

-brian.