Subject: Re: CMD disks (was Re: Need GENERIC kernel for 4000/500
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Zoltan ZSIDO <zsido@westel900.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/28/2001 22:32:00
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:51:19 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
> To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
> Cc: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: CMD disks (was Re: Need GENERIC kernel for 4000/500
>
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:
>
> > For another data point, I've got a CMD CQD-443 in my 3400 that I'm doing
> > the DSSI development work on and it boots just fine from it. Further, since
> > the new booter just uses the ROM boot code, if something could boot _any_
> > OS it should boot NetBSD (at least get it to the point where the first
> > stage booter runs). I've got a 223 (non-Sbox version) that I can stick in a
> > machine and try it.
>
> My problems with my CQD-220 isn't that it don't boot, but that it hangs
> after a while (the system, that is).

I'v tried to boot my UC08 with 1.5 from CD-ROM and from  miniroot.fs dd'ed
to a disk with no luck. After a while it hangs and Emulex lit all three leds
indicating fatal error. Also tried with 1.4.3 bootfs from TK70. It booted
and I was able to begin the sysinst session, but when pax worked on base.tgz,
it reported file system full on / and sysinst aborted the installation.
Seems to me that 1.4.3 is OK, but the 1.5 is not working correctly.
Ultrix worked as a charm with Emulex.

Zoltan Zsido