Subject: RE: Sourcecode for vax gpx and spx framebuffers?
To: 'Fred_deBros@etherdome.mgh.harvard.edu' <Fred_deBros@etherdome.mgh.harvard.edu>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/2001 11:52:48
> Fred_deBros@etherdome.mgh.harvard.edu:
>
	>Dec used to make these available on microfiche.....so clumsy to
copy that
	>nobody dared!

	If you mean sources then since about OpenVMS V5.5 the source
	listings (not quite the sources, quite often *more* useful
	actually) have been available *only* on CD. Somehow I
	don't think the intention was to allow wholesale copying ...

	> Does anybody here have these? I'd like to try to compile an
	>(accelerated) xserver on a 3100/m76 machine so as to have a GUI.

	I imagine that lots of people have them - I've even seen them on
	ebay.

	I seem to recall NetBSD going through a bunch
	of legal hassles only a few years ago because
	of its BSD heritage. I don't expect that people
	will be too happy if you drop a bunch of
	VMS copyrighted code into it ... I don't
	think you can even get away with simply looking
	at it and "re-writing" it.

	You need to get hold of the hardware specs
	for these boards (if they are available or even exist)
	and then write the code from scratch, or lift the code
	from some other OS that supports them but allows
	code reuse (open source) or have someone use
	the OpenVMS code to produce a hardware spec
	and then someone *else* can write the code from
	scratch (the clean room approach).

	Antonio
	arcarlini@iee.org