Subject: Re: in need of a QBus SCSI card for my VAX 4000
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/2001 20:20:55
Johnny Billquist drunkenly mumbled...

> That's a problem for all of us. Be happy that you're not dealing with
> Unibus. Those SCSI controllers are even more rare and expensive...

that's for after i pick up my 11/750  :)

> Problem isn't building a SCSI controller, but the fact that you want it to
> look like an MSCP controller from the computer perspective.

how does this complicate things?  i mean, are we talking major complications
or minor ones?  if i could get all the specs for SCSI, QBus and MSCP would an
electronics genius (i view him as such) have a chance at creating such a beast?

> Having it talk raw SCSI isn't a good option. No boot programs exist, and
> you'd also have problems booting it even if you did write you own boot
> proms.

hmm, well if it were simple it would have been done already. :)

so:

drive <- SCSI -> MSCP <- QBus -> VAX

does that look like what we would need?

thanks,