Subject: Re: in need of a QBus SCSI card for my VAX 4000
To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/2001 19:24:52
Carl Lowenstein drunkenly mumbled...

> We are all victims of history.  SCSI started to become popular about
> the time that Qbus computers were fading out.  So there just aren't
> enough old controllers lying around.  And the ones that are still there
> have not gone down in price to match the average home computer budget.

poop.

> Actually, there is a CMD Qbus SCSI controller about to time out on eBay
> this afternoon.  At $168.50 and still rising.  Similar things from
> used-computer stores seem to run $700 and up.

yeah, that's quite a bit more than i'm willing to spend.  i would go as far as
$50-$60 for a controller, but that's all i can justify spending.

so who here has enough electronics know-how to build a SCSI controller?  i may
be able to dig up an electronics guy who may be able to do so, but someone
would have to write drivers for it.  i'll let you know what i find out.

-brian