Subject: Re: creating bootable block device = SyQuest
To: port-vax <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: BrownM03 <BrownM03@bigpond.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/19/2001 12:16:19
From: "Chris Tribo" <ctribo@del.net>
> on 3/18/01 6:11 PM, BrownM03 at BrownM03@bigpond.com wrote something like:
>
> <snip>
> > Now the tricky bit ... how do I make it bootable?
> <snip>
> > how can I find out what's wrong?
> > or is there a simple answer?
>

>     I think what you have been bitten by is a bad secondary bootstrap.
There
> is a vax snapshot(IIRC) that is being distributed with a bad secondary
boot
> loader in the distribution sets. I got bitten by this, and it was a real
> PITA to fix. As to why someone can't fix the one tarball and re-upload it,
> is beyond me; or at least someone post the tar-gziped boot blocks &
> installboot in the same directory with a readme. This is not the first
time
> this has happened. Basically, you'll have to obtain the install files from
> another later distribution or snapshot, or compile new ones yourself,
which
> is probably impossible.

The syntax for the disklabel command wasn't right (for starters).
#disklabel -B sd0 -b /usr/mdec/sdboot -s /usr/mdec/boot
seems to work ok ... but still hangs on boot (ie. same effect)
I assume that a two-stage boot is required ... but which file do I
need for my secondary bootblock?
Is this something I can just download / compile / ...etc
Where / how / why ???? (lol ... too many questions?)