Subject: Re: creating bootable block device = SyQuest
To: BrownM03 , port-vax <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/18/2001 18:43:32
on 3/18/01 6:11 PM, BrownM03 at BrownM03@bigpond.com wrote something like:

<snip>
> Now the tricky bit ... how do I make it bootable?
<snip>
> how can I find out what's wrong?
> or is there a simple answer?

    I think what you have been bitten by is a bad secondary bootstrap. There
is a vax snapshot(IIRC) that is being distributed with a bad secondary boot
loader in the distribution sets. I got bitten by this, and it was a real
PITA to fix. As to why someone can't fix the one tarball and re-upload it,
is beyond me; or at least someone post the tar-gziped boot blocks &
installboot in the same directory with a readme. This is not the first time
this has happened. Basically, you'll have to obtain the install files from
another later distribution or snapshot, or compile new ones yourself, which
is probably impossible.

    Chris

--

Atlantis: {13} fortune