Subject: Re: VS 4000/60 Netboot problems
To: None <lists@khubla.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/2001 19:15:17
Hi !

lists@khubla.com wrote:
> I read that I needed a serial console, but having seen the boot loader output
> to the CRT guessed that the documentation was outdated.  What type of serial
> console would work?  Is VT100 reasonable?  Can I connect via minicomm with an
> i386 box?

Na, this just seems to be this way. The booter does it's whole console
I/O via the PROM routines on many machines, especially the VAXstations.
So it is here with the 4000/60. But as soon as the kernel comes up,
which of course uses its own console I/O, you will just lose the
framebuffer console, and maybe the kernel comes up on the serial
console. To get sure, you should flip the S3 switch under the small
cover on the front to the upper (i think it was upper... just toggle it)
position to select the serial console by default.

You can connect anything knowing about 9600 Bps, 8 bits, 1 stopbit and
no parity. I even connected my Nokia 9110 communicator to a MicroVAX II,
so nearly everything should work. Preferable you should use an original
DEC terminal (VT320s are very nice), or a good terminal emulation.
Minicom is ok for this, if you want it a bit comfortable, the tool
screen is also very good for this (i use this on my SGI for 2 VAXen),
and it goes down to tip or cu, which also fit your needs very well.

You just need some adapter or special cable for the MMJ connector (this
RJ11 thing with the notch not centered), the 25pin connector can't be
used as console AFAIK, this is another port.

...Michael