Subject: Re: Help!
To: None <EncinoAdam@aol.com>
From: None <roart@nvg.ntnu.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2001 03:46:27
On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:40:54AM -0500, EncinoAdam@aol.com wrote:
> Please forgive the intrusion.  I am writing a paper, and part of the paper
> involves old VAX computers.  In searching the net, you seem to be the
> ultimate supreme VAX guru.  I decided to write you in hopes that you might be
> able to answer a few questions.  Feel free to respond to this or delete it.
> But, I would definitely appreciate your help!
>
> 1.  Why are you so interested in VAX computers?

VAX are also highly reliable.

(The Irish Railways had a VAX controlling their railway light signs with
a uptime of 18 years, before it was taken down for upgrading)

VAX still have technological advantages/lead with regard to real clustering,
which is implemented in hardware/firmware and software/OS.
(Except it's followup, the Alpha, and possibly IBMs own irons and systems.
I really should look up more about clustering, though)

(The OS is/was not Unix, but this was a general VAX question)

> 8.  How much might a VAX cost?

In 1987 DEC achieved their 1 to 1000 goal:
$5000 for the cheapest (the 2000) model, and
$5000000 for the most expensive (the 8978) model