Subject: Re: Help!
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/2001 16:19:57
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:

> Actually, TCP/IP was first implemented internally at BBN, but then once
> that proof of concept was done, arpa contracted UCB to do the
> implementation in BSD UNIX.

Yes, but TCP/IP itself was just a further development on NCP. Protocols
above NCP or TCP remain much the same. If you look through relevant RFCs
you'll get a good picture on the timeframe of TCP/IP capable machines at
the time of the big switch.
The only TCP/IP implementation available at that time on Unix is (if I
remmeber correctly) a BBN implementation for the PDP-11/45.
Don't remember exactly which Unix version we're talking about.

If someone really wants to discuss this I'd be willing to do the neccesary
research again, but believe me, I've had this discussion before.

You can get pretty much the whole picture if you just care to read those
old RFCs...

The absolutely first TCP/IP implementation I remember finding a reference
to is for a PDP-11 running Fuzzball by the way.

(I'm trying to be nice here and not bash Unix too much, but the fact is
that people today gives Unix way too much credit in the development of
TCP/IP...)

	Johnny