Subject: Re: Help!
To: None <EncinoAdam@aol.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/2001 10:54:13
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 EncinoAdam@aol.com wrote:

> Please forgive the intrusion.  I am writing a paper, and part of the paper
> involves old VAX computers.  In searching the net, you seem to be the
> ultimate supreme VAX guru.  I decided to write you in hopes that you might be
> able to answer a few questions.  Feel free to respond to this or delete it.
> But, I would definitely appreciate your help!

	I am but a dabbler in the vast ocean that is VAX :) There are
	many more experienced owners of vaxen on port-vax, some of whom
	will hopefully also respond.

> 1.  Why are you so interested in VAX computers?

	The VAX was the first 32bit computer to run unix, as as such is
	the earliest architecture that can run a modern unix. It is
	possibly the pinacle of CISC CPU technology. NetBSD is based
	on the original BSD developed primarily on VAX machines.
	The VAX architecture spans over two decades, tracking developments
	in chip fabrication, bus, memory, and just about any other
	technology used in computing. People also have good (and bad)
	memories of using VAX machines earlier in their life.
	Available xaven vary widely in size and features and at this
	point are generally quite affordable, though sometimes the space
	and power requirements are not.

	It also collects a group of similar minded people togther, which
	always has a cohesive effect.

> 2.  What languages can be programmed on a VAX?  Is C++ one of them?

	VAX machines generally run VMS or Unix (Now more often NetBSD).
	Within each operating system you can run a variety of languages.
	NetBSD for example ships with C and C++, and has a good selection
	available at: (Some may nt work on VAX yet)
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/lang/README.html

> 3.  Do VAX computers use "dumb-terminals"?

	Any computer with a serial connection can use a dumb terminal.
	Install NetBSD on a PC and plug in 16 port serial card and you
	can run a nice group of dumb terminals.

> 4.  If so, How many terminals can be hooked up to one VAX?

	It depends on the VAX - from one to more than you would want.
	Providing they were lightly used I would expect to be able to
	hook up over a thousand to a big VAX.

> 5.  Do the dumb terminals have floppy drives or tape drives, or any way of
> backing up data?

	Generally not. Certain 'less dumb' terminals could, but it was
	very much the exception.

> 6.  What type of thesis project might a comp-sci student have worked on in
> 1994?

	Uh, pretty much anything.

> 7.  Could a VAX in 1994 be hooked up to the Internet?

	If in a university it probably was. I was connecting to VAX
	machines across the arpanet in the late 1980s. (I'm sure many
	people on this list were doing so way before then :)

> 8.  How much might a VAX cost?

	Now or then? Now, from 'pay for shipping' upwards.

	Then, generally tens of thosands if not hundreds or millions of
	dollars.

> I realize these are broad questions.. and that there are probably dozens of
> VAX models.  So, the answers can be similiarly generic... if the answers
> don't apply to all VAXs, that is okay.    Can you tell me anything else about
> the VAX?  Why have they all but gone away?  Thanks again for any help you are
> able to provide.  Your web site helped quite a bit, already.  I am just using
> it for general reference.

	They have been outperformed out of the market - DEC themselves
	produced a MIPS based line of workstations that demolished
	their VAX workstations on a cost/performance basis, before
	moving onto their own Alpha CPU design. The Alpha can run VAX
	code under emulation faster than a VAX can run it native. If
	research and development had continued on the VAX architecture
	that would probably not be the case, but that was not the
	decision DEC took.

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --