Subject: Re: Help!
To: None <EncinoAdam@aol.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/2001 10:01:45
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 EncinoAdam@aol.com wrote:

> 1.  Why are you so interested in VAX computers?

They are fun.

> 2.  What languages can be programmed on a VAX?  Is C++ one of them?

Name a language. Odds are that there exist an implementation for the VAX.
Yes, C++ is one of them.

> 3.  Do VAX computers use "dumb-terminals"?

Can have. Might also have a graphic display attached, if used as a
workstation.

> 4.  If so, How many terminals can be hooked up to one VAX?

I think that the largest installation that *I* know of had somewhere in
the range of 400 terminals.

> 5.  Do the dumb terminals have floppy drives or tape drives, or any way of
> backing up data?

No. They are dumb terminals. But nobody wanted this, or else it could
easily have been provided.

> 6.  What type of thesis project might a comp-sci student have worked on in
> 1994?

Artificial intelligence? Number crunching? OS? Data communication?
Just about anything really.

> 7.  Could a VAX in 1994 be hooked up to the Internet?

Yes, just as it could in 1984, except it wasn't called the
"Internet" then.

> 8.  How much might a VAX cost?

New? Name a figure and we'll name the VAX.

	Johnny