Subject: Heresy.... but.... anyone tried OpenBSD VAX yet?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/28/2001 13:24:27
I know, time to get the burning steaks out.....(:+}}..., but, anyone
tried the OpenBSD VAX port yet.  I have, and it is most interesting.

1.  There is a working boot.fs for floppy/hd boots.  It works GREAT!
    NetBSD NEEDS this kind of thingie!  I sense our port has lost
    touch with this modus operandi.  Many of the 3100 line VAXentoyz
    I run across have the scsi floppies.  This would be ideal for that.
    It also worked fine off a spare HD.  Our cd boot is better, if you
    have the cd, but, if you don't and can wrangle a floppy or spare
    hd, this works great.

2.  The system only seems to boot on DKA0, but will install from/on
    anywhere.  It may be their generic kernel configgy pudding needing
    some adjustment?

3.  le0 timeouts are a real problem.  This is the one gotcha that
    seems to be problematic.  NetBSD does not timeout on the same
    hardware (our 1.5 code fixes this nicely?).

Other than that it seems pretty nice, relative to our 1.5.  I especially
liked that VAX boot floppy.  That was a nice idea.

My goal in playing the heathen heretic is to dual boot my olde MV3100/M20
and constructively compare the two systems, on the same hardware to see
what is what.  That way, all BSD freaks can maybe benefit a little, if
anything good comes out of the exercise.

Anyone else happen to try it yet?

Thanks

Bob