Subject: Re: VAX 4000/100 + cd + syquest ...etc
To: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/2001 16:42:18
Hi !

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Matt London wrote:
> Before that I was mostly ix86, with a few other bits and bobs, Z80, MC68k
> etc - but I do love my vaxen :&) Although I've yet to come to grips with
> VMS, I'm getting there slowly. I'm quite happily at home with NetBSD
> (learnt unix from 6 years or so with linux, then tinkering with other bits
> and pieces).

Hehe... My first 2 VAXen were the VS3100m76 and the VS4000VLC. 2 Years later i
discovered NetBSD (Version 1.32, so VAX support was young there also) and put
it on the 3100m76. The 4000 VLC was not supported in 1.32, so i started to have
a closer look at the kernel sources and did the port for this machine. Without
cache, but it worked. Then, the 4000/300 followed, 6 hours after first power-up
the NetBSD-port for this was done also :)
Then i don't know the whole story of all my other VAXen exactly, but it's a
reallz nice collection now. I have several CPU types here, HP-PA is nice, Sparc
is also funny, the SGI machines (MIPS) are really cool toys, but in tech
design, there is nearly nothing to beat those VAXen here. And the 4000 series
can give really very useful machines even today. (Don't want to say the
older machines don't. Even a MicroVAX II or a VAXstation 2000 can make real
use as webserver or mailserver).

VAXen (and also PDPs) were some of the biggest steps in computer technology
i think.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.