Subject: Re: VAX 4000-100 + NetBSD newbie = HELP !
To: BrownM03 <BrownM03@bigpond.com>
From: Erno Palonheimo <esp@cc.hut.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/2001 10:08:13
"BrownM03" <BrownM03@bigpond.com> writes:

> > >  [SHOW DEV command without Syquest connected]
> > >      >>>SHOW DEV
> > >      DSSI Bus 0 Node 7 (*)
> > >      SCSI Adapter A, SCSI ID 6
> > >      -DKA100 (DEC RRD42)
> > >      Ethernet Adapter
> > >      -EZA0 (08-00-2B-3E-8E-D3)
> >
> > so you already connected the syquest and did show up?
> >

> Yes it seems to be recognised, but when connected, the CD isn't shown.
> A boot from the Syquest (dd'd the vax-iso image from my RH7.0 box)
> gives exactly the same results as a cd boot (attempt) :
> [SHOW DEV command with SyQuest (external) and CD (internal)]
>     >>>SHOW DEV
>     DSSI Bus 0 Node 7 (*)
>     SCSI Adapter A, SCSI ID 6
>     -DKA0 (SyQuest SQ3270S)
>     -DKA100  (SyQuest SQ3270S)   ---|
>     -DKA200  (SyQuest SQ3270S)        |  I guess these are different (old)
>     -DKA300  (SyQuest SQ3270S)        |  images (backup sets?) on the
>     -DKA400  (SyQuest SQ3270S)        |  disk ... tried removing with
>     -DKA500  (SyQuest SQ3270S)        |  fdisk on RH7 but didn't seem to
>     -DKA700  (SyQuest SQ3270S)   ---|   work! (Didn't seem to matter:))

They aren't "backup sets".  The unit name is constructed like this
(from top of my failing memory):

DKA100 where DK indicates device type (SCSI disk), A indicates it's
controller A, 1 indicates it's scsi id 1.  The two following numbers
may or may not mean LUN etc...

The reason why you're seeing this SyQuest drive seven times has
nothing to do with your eyesight, more likely it's because the drive
and the controller have the same SCSI ID.  The solution is to rejumper
the drive to something else.  Each device on a SCSI bus must have an
unique ID in order to operate sanely. :-)

>     Ethernet Adapter
>     -EZA0 (08-00-2B-3E-8E-D3)
>
> (I don't understand why the CD is no longer recognised)

See the explanation above.

> [BOOT/100 DKA0]
> [[ I tried the "100" for something different (I don't get that one
> ther:)   ]]
>     >>>BOOT/100 DKA0
>     (BOOT / R5:0 DKA100)
>             2..
>     Bootfile:            (Promising!!! ... what do I enter? An <enter>
> results in...)

The "Bootfile:" prompt comes from the boot monitor, works even if the
disk hasn't got any data at all.

Hope this helps.

--
Erno Palonheimo ; esp@iki.fi ; http://iki.fi/esp/ ; +358505604765