Subject: Re: NetBSD vs OpenBSD sparc disklabels?????
To: Hugh Graham <hugh@openbsd.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/2001 13:17:08
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Hugh Graham wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:05:38AM -0500, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > not to run Net-vs-Open on it.  Because of that silly disklabel
> > incompabibility with OpenBSD, that probably will say I need to go
> > with NetBSD on it, like on my VAXentoyz.
> > [...]

> [...]
>
> As for moving disks between openbsd/sparc and netbsd/vax, I suspect
> you had an endian problem. Rather than issues between netbsd and
> openbsd, it would have been fundamental to sparc vs vax.

Given a couple of `ifs' here... If the labels were compatible between
NetBSD/OpenBSD, and if Bob's VAX kernel were compiled with the FFS_EI
option, it should be possible for hime to mount the Sparc created
filesystem on his VAX.

From NetBSD 1.5 man page -- option(4)

     options FFS_EI
     Enable ``Endian-Independent'' FFS support.  This allows a system to
     mount an FFS filesystem created for another architecture, at a small
     performance cost for all FFS filesytems.  See also newfs(8), fsck_ffs(8),
     dumpfs(8) for filesystem byte order status and manipulation.

Or maybe he could dump the filesystem to a file or tape on the OpenBSD
systems and restore it on the NetBSD system?

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
        Let me brush the center of your spinal cord!  -- eX-Girl.