Subject: Re: Speed of Vaxstation 4000/60
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/2001 15:13:16
Hi !

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Douglas Meade wrote:
> First observation: The VS4k/90 SCSI install kernel CD that I made, that
> I've mentioned several times won't boot on the /90, booted on the /60
> with no problems.  Is the SCSI controller on these two so different?

Yes... but i think this just is for the CSR addresses of the controller chips.
Maqybe some minor differences in DMA or so.

> Second observation: Both dhrystone and kernel compile indicate that
> this machine is slower than my VS3100/M76.  Is this really the case?

Shouldn't be. It should be about 50% faster i think. But i didn't try.

> (I see no speed comparisons on the /60 in either the MicroVax FAQ
> or the NetBSD Hardware pages).  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to
> have another fine specimen of VaxWare, but I was hoping this one
> had a little more ooomf.

It has... Runs here as Mailserver, with 3 1Gig-drives RAIDframed together.
Really fine machine for this purpose.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.