Subject: Speed of Vaxstation 4000/60
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/2001 08:52:55
Now I've got one.  Question that is.  I finally got a good buy on E-bay
last week: A Vaxstation 4000/60 with 40M RAM: $50.  My first.  I installed
1.5 on it yesterday.

First observation: The VS4k/90 SCSI install kernel CD that I made, that
I've mentioned several times won't boot on the /90, booted on the /60
with no problems.  Is the SCSI controller on these two so different?

Second observation: Both dhrystone and kernel compile indicate that
this machine is slower than my VS3100/M76.  Is this really the case?
(I see no speed comparisons on the /60 in either the MicroVax FAQ
or the NetBSD Hardware pages).  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to
have another fine specimen of VaxWare, but I was hoping this one
had a little more ooomf.

Doug