Subject: Re: NetBSD vs OpenBSD sparc disklabels?????
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/2001 10:26:41
> > I have a couple of disks from an OpenBSD SS1 machine that lost its nvram
> > and has become problematic.  I want to recover the information from the
> > disks into NetBSD, but it does not recognize the disk labels?  What is
> > different between the two?  Is it a Sun hardware thing, or a difference
> > in the actual labels?
>
> OpenBSD/sparc has different LABELOFFSET (64) and MAXPARTITIONS (16)
> from NetBSD/sparc. They are not compatible. It could be mounted
> on the other ports which had 64byte LABELOFFSET if it had only
> 8 partitions.

Ahh, phooey... don't you just love it when such little differences
creep in and make things incompatible?  Darn.....

Now I have to make some executive decisions as to whether I want to
redo the sunjunk in NetBSD or OpenBSD.

Anyone know if the VAX ports in NetBSD or OpenBSD have this problem?
I tried unrolling a VAX OpenBSD port from NetBSD VAX, and it seemed
that the disklabels may have been off, because the system would just
not come up, at all, and jumped out to prom.

Thanks

Bob