Subject: Re: IPNat/IPFilter on VAX
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/13/2001 12:00:27
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
>
> > Don't get me wrong - I am indeed using IPFilter, need it for several
> > machines at different sites, and am very happy that it's going to be
> > listed (at all) in the GENERIC config. However, will most people need
> > it? Probably not. For them it's just extra code to slow thier
> > machines.
>
> I don't think it's unreasonable for GENERIC to have this.  However, I do
> think we need some other install images which are better optimized for
> smaller machines.  See the boot-tiny.fs and boot-small.fs images for the
> i386 port, and their associated TINY and SMALL kernel config files.
>
> David created some similar images for the NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 release, but
> the source modifications for their creation didn't get carried into future
> releases.  In general, the GENERIC image is fairly bloated and should run
> on most fairly well equipped VAXen without choking them.
>
> I still don't have any VAXen up on 1.5 yet.  I'd be happy to work on
> adding this stuff in for 1.5.1, but I think that release will happen
> before I can get my stuff organized enough.

	As Brian mentioned, generally NetBSD has had GENERIC as the
	'kitchen sink' config, with various other optional 'lighter'
	configs as demanded.

	IIRC we had a POSTAGE_STAMP and SMIDGEN which were for the uVAX-II
	and VAXstation 2000 plus low end 3100s.

	I would say if you have >=16MB and more than a MIP you can be
	expected to run with GENERIC or compile your own. For those people
	less well endowed :), lean configs make a lot of sense.

	Of course its additional maintenance, but hopefully those configs
	will not change that much over time :)

	What would seem to be a good split, two configs:
		- MV II + 11/750 + 11/780
		- VAXstation 2000 + 3100
	We should probably look to see how much we would save splitting
	the MV II from the 11/750 + 11/780. Hopefully not much :)

	What should the config files include:
		- All serial, storage devices supported - DSSI when ready?
		- No video devices
		- IPv4 only - no INET6, APPLETALK, ISO, NS etc
		- No DDB, DEBUG, or DIAGNOSTIC
		- FFS, NFS - any other filesystems - no QUOTA support?
		- No NFS server
		- No SYSV shared memory
		- Network options - ipfilter bpfilter ppp sl tun gre etc?
		- No ccd, raid, vnd, or tb

	What do people think?

		David/absolute -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --