Subject: Re: sysinst, VS-3100 CD Boot
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/11/2001 19:07:07
jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de drunkenly mumbled...
> Yust put a disklabel and file systems on your disk(s), untar the dist
> sets, make des device nodes, make the root disk bootable ("disklabel -B
> sd0"), edit /etc/rc of the root disk, reboot and thats it.

i just recently installed NetBSD 1.5 on a small sparc box i have.  sysinst just
didn't want to work for me. booting off of miniroot on swap slice, told me that
/ should be on /dev/sd0a and that it was currently on /dev/sd0b [swap, where we
booted from] and that it was terribly confused and it didn't know what to do so
would i please mount the real root and re-run sysinst.  mount it where?  it
didn't tell me.  i couldn't figure it out, didn't feel like trying and did it
the "good old fashioned way" and it worked perfectly.  luckily i know what files
to edit to get the machine configured and didn't miss the dialog questions at
all.  i think i'm gonna skip sysinst from now on.

-brian