Subject: Re: More raining VAXentoyz -- VAXstation 3200 today
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/2001 08:57:35
On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:14:12AM -0600, Chuck McManis wrote:

> There is the MDM (MicroVAX Diagnostic Monitor). It it a bootable TK50
> tape that can test your VAX and do formatting of MFM drives on the
> RQDX3. I'd really like to get a binary image run it on charon or some
> other VAX emulator and watch what it tells the RQDX3 in order to do
> the format. There has to be some sort of "special" MSCP commands but
> they just aren't documented.

I have MDM for my uVAXen IIs, and while I had no problems formatting a
RD53 with it, I can't figure out the parameters for formatting random
MFM drives...  (I have a seagate ST225 and a miniscribe 8450)

MDM works different enough from the vax 2000 formatter to throw me for a
curve.  :(

does anybody here have docs for MDM that might point me in the right
direction?

  "Being wet and standing in a salted bath while rinsing the inside of
   your hairdryer with a silver spoon is a very stupid thing to do."
      -- Dave Krooshof