Subject: Re: DSSI update
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/08/2001 09:25:53
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

: no, this isn't NetSysV, or NetSolaris, and i don't want to see that any more
: than you do.  HOWEVER, i just can't seem to wrap my brain around the concept
: of "dynamic here, static there" that you are going to have to explain to me.
:
: /dev/[device type][device id][slice info]
:
: /dev/sd0a is slice 1 of the disk with SCSI ID 0.
: /dev/sd3c is slice 3 of the disk with SCSI ID 3.
:
: what is so terribly wrong and SysV about that?

BSD does not statically assign things by default like this, which is what
makes this wrong.  We will never do this by default, as there's far too many
possible combinations of controllers to assign statically which one gets
scsibus0, not to mention sd0.

Note that I'm not arguing against a locator-based scheme, just indicating
why engineering it into our current device model will not work.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/