Subject: Re: IPNat/IPFilter on VAX
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/06/2001 21:15:33
David Brownlee wrote:

>         Have just added ipfilter (enabled) , and a bunch of (commented out)
>         network options to -current vax GENERIC config.
>
>         Does anyone know of any reason why ipfilter should not be enabled
>         by default for 1.5.1 GENERIC?

Bloat?

Don't get me wrong - I am indeed using IPFilter, need it for several machines at
different sites, and am very happy that it's going to be listed (at all) in the
GENERIC config. However, will most people need it? Probably not. For them it's
just extra code to slow thier machines.

In general, if I'm right, a feature should be enabled in the GENERIC kernel if it
will be needed to set up the machine to a point where a custom kernel can be
compiled. I don't see IPFilter making the cut.

My $0.02.

--
 -Buckaroo