Subject: Re: DSSI update
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/06/2001 13:09:14
At 12:55 PM 2/6/2001 -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
>For those of you waiting (and there are a few) here is an update on my
>DSSI work:
>
>I've finally got a really great development setup. This was the fortuitous
>addition of extra hardware to the mix.
>
>Kernel configuration goes like this:
>         shac*   at ibus
>         sii     at ibus
>         dssibus*        at sii?
>         dssibus*        at shac?
>         dd*     at dssibus?
>         dt*     at dssibus?

That's just wrong (IMO).

mscpbus* at shac? node ?
ra* at mscpbus? drive ?
mt* at mscpbus? driver

Basically, each element on a DSSI bus looks to be equivalent to an HSC
controller and then a disk and/or tape hangs off the node.  And since DSSI
speak MSCP, the common MSCP code should be used.

>Since you can have multiple shac's but only one SII as far as I can tell.
 >From what I have been able to garner you can run the SII chip as either a
>SCSI controller or a DSSI controller but not both. The sii options will
>only work if you've defined KA640 in your config file.

Note that the KA60 (VAXstation 35[24]0) uses the SII in SCSI mode.