Subject: Re: Anyone ever get a working boot.fs for 1.5 or later?
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/06/2001 10:50:54
At 01:30 PM 2/6/2001 -0500, Douglas Meade wrote:
>I've been hunting around the /sys/arch/vax directory, and can't find
>a clue how to make this.  Can someone clue me in?

That's because it doesn't live there :-)

You need to grovel around in the ./src/distrib tree. (and it is a pretty
egregious place to hang out :-)

Apparently building a release, the final part of building the system, is
not well implemented on the VAX as it rarely works (like now in -current or
in the 1.5 branch) beyond the basics of creating the snapshot files.
Apparently from previous messages on this list folks "fixed" it 1.4 but
those fixes never got pulled up into the other releases. I can't seem to
find those fixes in the CVS tree so I can't even pull them over on my local
copy.

For tape booting the file 'bootroot.fs' is supposed to be built. This file
is a target in the inst-common subdirectory of src/distrib/vax but doesn't
get made. I just did a cvs update and it patched some stuff so I'm going to

--Chuck