Subject: Re: S1 on DECServer 200/MC
To: None <petersv@psv.nu>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/05/2001 18:12:46
> To: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
> From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
> Date: 01/22/2001 22:15:06
>
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Matt London wrote:
>
> >  Just curious (having not got the docs for it) into what the
> >red pushbutton switch marked S1 (next to port J1) does. Cause I can't see
> >any noticable effect from pressing it, and it must serve a purpose, cause
> >it's connected inside :&)
>
> If you hold it down while powering up the DECserver it will reset the
> nvram. This looses all configuration, especially the passwords. I think
> port 1 or 8 is used to reconfigure the server afterwards.
>
> Peter

Armed with this bit of info about S1 and software for the 200, I
finally pulled my DECserver 200/MC out of storage and powered it up.
I tried a bunch of different combinations of port 1 vs. 8 and holding
down S1 for varying lengths of time, but it still wants some password
when I do SET PRIVILEGED:

DECserver 200 Terminal Server V3.1 (BL37) - LAT V5.1

Please type HELP if you need assistance

Enter username> anon

Local> SET PRIVILEGED
Password>
Password>
Password>
Local -020- Logged out port 8 on server LAT_08002B0ABB40

Does anyone have any ideas?  The only other messages of note are these
on port 1 when it's powering up, but they're not really interesting:

Local -901- Initializing DECserver "08-00-2B-0A-BB-40" -- ROM BL20, H/W Rev D.A
Local -902- Waiting for image load
Local -903- Loading from host "00-E0-98-76-E2-B1"
Local -904- Image load complete

Thanks,

Matt

--