Subject: Re: KDA50?
To: Tom Parker <tom@carrott.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/2001 16:29:53
On 5 Feb 2001, Tom Parker wrote:

> Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se> wrote:
>
> >2. Your KDA50 have the wrong address. All cards on a Q-bus have their own
> >address range. This can be changed, and is usually done by a number of
> >dip-switches on the card. The KDA50 should in your case be at address
> >172150(8). If it isn't there, NetBSD won't find it. NetBSD assumes that
> >the first MSCP controller is at that address.
>
> I have netbsd netbooting. Are there any programs that can probe the bus for
> devices at other addresses?

Slightly modern firmware in the VAX can usually probe the Q-bus for any
addresses that responds, but I don't know what version you have. I don't
remember seeing any "normal" software that does this. Perhaps something to
suggest as a project for someone...?

> >I don't know if the switches for a KDA50 is documented anywhere on the
> >net. Try searching. I don't do much Q-bus stuff myself, being a Unibus
> >fan, so I can't help on this one.
>
> I have searched fairly exhaustively and not found much. I found the archive of
> this group at geocrawler, but that only goes back to 1999. The archives at
> netbsd.org go back further but don't seem to be searchable, beyond using
> external search engines.
>
> Is there a more useful search engine that altavista with a "host:" keyword?

First hit I got when searching for "kda-50" on AltaVista was:
http://eisner.decus.org/DECUServe/DECnotes/HARDWARE_HELP/1158.HTML

which will give you the answer...

	Johnny