Subject: Re: KDA50 not detecting RA81?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Parker <tom@carrott.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/2001 03:53:03
Chris <jcwunder@openecs.org> wrote:

>Tom Parker wrote:

>> Do i have to connect both cables to the kda50 card?

>Yes you should do that. It's not really necessary since the RA81 has two
>separate SDI channels A and B. Don't forget to use this little box on the
>bottom of your cabinet, to connect it to you MVII. It should look like this:

>-------                                                     _______
>|  RA81     |-A------| Box |------|   MVII |
>|                   |-B------|           |------|             |
>-------                                                       -----

>Sorry for the bad drawing. Please ask if it's still unclear how to connect
>the MVII and RA81. The little box, just rearranges the SDI cable's connectors
>180 degrees.

I think you have a proportional font while I have a fixed width font, as that
came out real bad... I have a box on the bottom of the cabinate that has two
sockets on each side. When I got it, the two cables from ra81 were connected
to one side, and one cable from other side of the box was connected to the
kda50.

>> Both of them? Does the drive have
>> to be spun up and the ready light lit when the microvax is turned on?

>After power up, press the "RUN" button on your RA81. After that the RUN
>button lights up and the drive should start to get noisy ;-) If the drive
>spins up normal the READY light should turn on.

It does this.

>I hope this helps you. But don't expect to much from these RA81 drives, they
>crash very often. I have several of these drives, and I must say they really
>unreliable.

Is the crash fatal, or do you just loose data? Mine makes a rather sick high
speed clicking noise for about 3 seconds when you turn it off, and a squeaking
noise about 30 seconds later as it slows down...

--
Tom Parker - tom@carrott.org
           - http://www.carrott.org