Subject: Re: Disk errors?
To: jkunz <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Parker <tom@carrott.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/2001 14:14:37
jkunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

>> I've got an RD53 on an RQDX3 controller. Are these errors normal?

>No. Your drive needs a low level format. If you don't have the MDM tape
>you have to get a VAXstation 2000 to format the drive.

I don't even have a tape drive. I do have an MFM controller for a PC, is there
anything I could do with that? I also have an 40MB MFM drive from the same pc.
Can I plug that in?

Is there any way to transfer the information (program?) needed on the tape
onto a floppy? I have a couple of old 1.2MB drives that from the sound of it
can be used to write quad density floppies on a pc.

>Or use the RA81. More space, more noise, more power dissipation, much
>more fun. ;-)

This drive is a bit tempremental. It seems that with the front plastic cover
screwed on, it doesn't want to start. But more importantly, I see that the
kda50 needs "help" with bad blocks. From what I could find in the archives
NetBSD doesn't support giving help. Is this still the case?

>> http://www.carrott.org
>I had a look at your machine, nice configuration.

Thanks.

>Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

Your collection is very impressive...

--