Subject: Disk errors?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Parker <tom@carrott.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/01/2001 07:07:51
Hi,

I've just got a MicroVAX II going with netbsd. I got it netbooting without too
much trouble, but I'm having trouble with the hard drive. I think I might have
gotten to grips with disklabel, and I managed to formate with newfs, and fsck
finds no errors, but during the format and when I copy files to the drive I
get errors in my log and on the console terminal:

Feb  2 04:01:42 bigvax /netbsd: ra0: drive 0 soft error datagram: unit 0:
unknown error, format 0x9: data error (uncorrectable ecc) (code 8, subcode 7)
Feb  2 04:02:13 bigvax /netbsd: ra0: drive 0 soft error datagram: unit 0:
unknown error, format 0x9: data error (uncorrectable ecc) (code 8, subcode 7)

I've logged 240 such error in the last couple of hours.

I've got an RD53 on an RQDX3 controller. Are these errors normal?

Currently I'm trying to build a boot filesystem on the drive in the hope that
it will be faster than the nfs... I have noticed that some files are being
corrupted, as diff finds differences...

The configuration of my system can be seen on my webpage.

--
Tom Parker - tom@carrott.org
           - http://www.carrott.org