Subject: Trouble compiling ncftp, ncurses
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/2001 17:17:04
I installed a fresh copy of 1.5 from CD on Friday, on a 3100/M76.  I'm
trying to get some of my trusty tools together on that machine, and I
notice that many programs are still not available for the vax in
binary images.  So, I tried to compile ncftp2 from the pkgsrc directory.
This version compiled, but dumps core whenever it runs.  Running ldd on
it indicates that all necessary libraries are present.  I then tried
to compile ncftp3, but couldn't get through the compile of ncurses 5.2,
which is needed for this program.  While trying to link libncurses.la,
several undefined symbols stop the link dead in its tracks.  I've run
into difficulty compiling lynx as well, although for that one, I just
finally snagged the binaries.  Unfortunately, the binaries for ncftp2
in 1.4.2 also dump core on my system.  Any hint as to what I may
be doing wrong?

Doug