Subject: fun with terminals
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2001 21:18:43
Ok, well we've had our bit of fun, and this is what we've discovered:

	NetBSD 1.5 supports the DHV11 as ttyS0 thru ttyS7
		   supports the CXY08 *in DHV11 mode* also as ttyS0 thru 7

The CXA16 is not supported in any mode.

Now I don't actually have the setup manual for the CXA16 but I do for the
CXY08 (I wish I had the technical manual for both of them!) And since the
same switches appear on both, and at least the CSR and VEC switches are the
same, it seems like the first switch (E36-1) should also have the same
function on both (DHV vs DHU mode). I'm guessing that for some reason since
it _isn't_ actually a DHV11 and does have 16 lines, only 8 are being
initialized or something but basically I don't have a clue.

I would like to get the CXA16 working because it has this nice harmonica
block of MMJ connectors whereas the CXY08 has a four-headed DB25 cable
assembly. My VT320 collection would prefer to talk MMJ :-) Of course I can
make sort of DB25 to MMJ adapters but that is both a lot of work and makes
the wiring look clunkier than it needs to be.

It would be interesting to find out what is needed to support DHU mode
(this uses the DMA engine vs the DHV polled mode)

--Chuck