Subject: Re: More raining VAXentoyz -- VAXstation 3200 today
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2001 15:42:15
  Starting back in 1986, my junior year in high school, I ran a
PDP11/34a in my bedroom.  Two 6' racks...10.5" cpu chassis absolutely
loaded, an 11/45-style expansion chassis containing a DH11-AD mux and
an RK611, an RX01, two RL01s, one RL02, and a TS03 magtape.  Next to
those racks was an RK07 disk drive.  I absolutely adored that system.
One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my life was parting it
out and selling it when I got a PDP11/73 in a Dataram chassis a couple
of years later.  The Dataram SMD controller with the Fuji M2312 80mb
drive on the 11/73 was great, but it just didn't have the "magic" of
that RK07. :-)

  That system...with its big Condor fans spinning in the tops of the
H960 racks, and the RK07 (which, if you've never heard one, sounds
a lot like a jet airliner) put out a HUGE amount of white noise...I
got so used to sleeping with that sound, that to this day I cannot
sleep without some equipment fans running in the bedroom!

             -Dave McGuire