Subject: Re: More raining VAXentoyz -- VAXstation 3200 today
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2001 15:35:00
jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de drunkenly mumbled...
> On 26 Jan, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> > or i can sneak you all into the computer lab at work and you can sleep while
> > listening to the white noise of a data center.  (alas, no more VAXen)
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I hope there are enough UPSen? Early last year we had the first VAX
> geek meeting at Christophes "VAXcave" (his summer house). It was rather
> could outside - and inside the cave. So we powerd up lots of VAXen,
> DECstations, HP9000, Suns, ... An incredible noise. Especially from the
> MVII in the BA123 with thre RD54... We had a good sleep. ;-)
> But in the morning there was a power outage. The entire crew woke up
> imediately because of the silence. :-)))

the entire data center is good for 5-10 minutes.  just enough to get stuff
powered down.  but you have to keep in mind we have a couple mainframes, and
they draw a considerable amount of power, so the UPS system would run longer
without those things powered on.  although they are the backbone of our
computing systems, and Volvo still uses mainframes, so we are probably never
going to stop using them.

in my house, only the network gear (firewall, switches, etc) are on UPS power,
and my PeeCee is a laptop, so it's battery will keep it going.  so even if
we lose power, my brother can play non-stop Diablo II.

i won't have enough UPS power until i get that 800 pound Best Power FE10KVA
UPS moved in.  hey, if you guys stop by.........  (i hope you are all reasonably
strong, although you have to be to be VAXengeeks)

cheers,

-brian