Subject: New benchmark...
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2001 19:45:06
Hehe.  I just caught wind of this interesting benchmark.  I'm not sure how
valid it is, but it's interesting.

  http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~kerrigat/bench/

So far it looks like it's mainly catering to the PC-weenie set, but the
code is generic and does compile under NetBSD.  I tried it on NetBSD/i386
but I'd be curious to see how it shapes up on something like a
MicroVAX-II.  The lowest published numbers on the page are for a
486DX2/66.  Come on, certainly we can do worse than that!

The source is small and bundled in a zip file.  It lacks a Makefile and
the case of the file names are incorrect.  Here's what I did to fix it
(using C-shell semantics here -- sorry).

  % ftp http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~kerrigat/tscp171.zip
  % unzip tscp171.zip
  % cd tscp171
  % foreach i ( *.? )
      set name = `echo $i | tr 'A-Z' 'a-z'`
      mv $i $name
    end
  % gcc -O2 -c *.c
  % gcc -O2 -o tscp *.o -lcompat
  % ./tscp

  Tom Kerrigan's Simple Chess Program (TSCP)
  version 1.71, 11/30/00
  Copyright 1997 Tom Kerrigan

  "help" displays a list of commands.

  tscp> bench