Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2001 15:44:16
> > one note about the libc growth- some of it has gotten a LOT slower.
> > for example, on bob's machien he put up for testing yesterday, i ran some
> > test program that among other things calledprintf a little under 300
> > thousand time. compiled with dynamic linking, with -O2, it took the
> > printfs about 980 seconds to run. Compiled statically, about 910 seconds.
> > On the ka650 at home, with a much older libc, the same thing took about
> > 85 seconds. (the program did about 90 seconds of other work)..
>
> That's an impressive performace hit!
>
> I assume that you directed the output to a file. Both machines ka650?

The little box is an MV3100/10 with KA41/42 CPU according to dmesg.
It has 16mb ram and RZ25 drives (5 of them).

I am loading up NetBSD-1.3.2 now, but it will take most of the night
to get a kernel compile equivalent to the NetBSD-1.5 one (stripped
VS/MV31000 thing).  1.3.2 is the earliest release I could find with
VS/MV scsi support.  It will have to do instead of 1.2 on this machine.

> This is a serious performance degradation, and it _should_ be fairly easy
> to figure out where the hit took place.

The MVII critters are   e v e n   slower.  (:+}}..

Are there things called up in the kernel from some of this slow lib
stuff that might be the culprit?

Bob