Subject: Re: Questions...
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2001 06:43:21
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> [...]
>
> Second. I had some problems compiling the most recent sources, and
> stumbled onto IBCS2. In the generic config file:
>
> options 	COMPAT_IBCS2	# DEC SVR.3 compatilibity
>
> however, in the man-pages:
>
>      NetBSD supports running Intel Binary Compatibilty Standard 2 (iBCS2) bi-
>      naries.  This only applies to i386 systems for now.
>
> Anyone care to explain? What DEC SVR.3 exists for VAXen???

Well... when AT&T was doing their original SysV work, what platform(s) do
you think they supported?  Or... which 32-bit VM capable systems existed
in the early 1980s?

That's not the best answer.  I forget who did the original work, but I
think it was around a year ago that someone mentioned doing SysV binary
support for the VAX as contract work.  There are probably clues in the
sources.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
     100 buckets of bits on the bus,
     100 buckets of bits.
     You take one down and short it to ground.
     FF buckets of bits on the bus.