Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Erno Palonheimo <esp@cc.hut.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2001 21:44:13
NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu> writes:

> > > I tried and it died.  perl5 would not compile on the MVII boxes.
> >
> >  5:04 kurkku ~ %% perl
> > print "works fine.\n";
> > ^D
> > works fine.
> >
> > Did this on a 13MB MicroVAX II, and yes, that is perl5 which I
> > compiled myself.
>
> How?  My perl make was still making its makefiles 36 hours later!
>
> What is different about your machine or my machine?  Something is
> making mine slow as molasses in january.
>
> KA630
> SQ706A
> 13mb ram (forget the numbers right off)
> 4 x 1 gig scsi drives.
> TKQ50
> DEQNA
>
> (not necessarily in that order, but, speaking of order, IFF one or
> more of the boards was not set right, that could slow things down?)
>
> What are the boards and board ordering in your machine?

My machine is almost similar, though I don't have a SQ706A, instead I
have two RD54 disks attached to a RQDX3.  The card ordering shouldn't
matter too much, but AFAIR Dilog cards can be put to the end of the
bus (low priority) because of their buffers without trouble.  Btw, are
you trying to compile perl 5.6.0?  That failed for me for some reason
and I installed 5.005_03 instead.

--
Erno Palonheimo ; esp@iki.fi ; http://iki.fi/esp/ ; +358505604765