Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 21:49:06
NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu> writes:

>Anyway, get this.... the kernel is 59528 bytes!  Talk about a lean
>and mean VAX UNIX kernel!  The date stamp is March 22, 1979.

Yeah but you don't really want to compare that to NetBSD, do you?
I mean, it doesn't even have virtual memory (apart from whole-process-
swapping) and no networking either etc.
I think it's quite clear that system software from the 70ies runs
on a system from the 70ies quite fine, it is supposed to do so.
Comparing 32V to NetBSD 1.5 would be, like, comparing MS-DOS 3.3
to NT 4.0 (forgive my PCish analogy, 32V certainly is a more
powerful and better designed system than DOS of course).

mkb