Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 14:31:30
Matt London drunkenly mumbled...
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> machines we *used* to have in the labs. The reason the PC mindset has
> arisen is cause people who've learnt to code like to have nice setups (in
> the PC way, not nice like a VAXentoy) and so learn their programming style
> there, and don't have the same values as those of us that used to play
> with baby 1MHz Z80 setups :&) (I still have a working ZX spectrum, and a
> working TRS-80 model 1, etc). Not that my C code is anything special, and

i started writing C code on an IBM RT running 4.4 BSD Reno.  if i used too
many clock cycles, the machine stopped working very well.  although, if someone
loaded emacs, the machine stopped working as well.  so efficiency was mandatory.

the running joke about Windows being so god awful slow was that i was using
a 386 w/2MB ram and the MS developers were all using Pentiums with 256MB ram.

> I really ought to get into systems programming so I can do something
> constructive :&)

i feel the same way sometimes.  i'd love to do more than bitch about how slow
NetBSD is getting, but i can't personally do anything about it.  i'm a Solaris
Admin, and my C programs are all pretty crappy if they work at all. ;)

-brian