Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 12:37:14

> Has anyone actually BUILT NetBSD-1.5 ON an MVII critter?
> I know it builds a kernel (at least a stripped one) OK.
> That is the kernel that took over 24 hours to compile.
> I have not tried to build generic on it, yet.
> I have not tried to make the world on it yet.

wow. make world takes less than 24 hours in 4.3tahoe on a Ka650..

> Nah, not an alternative.  VMSwhatsthenameofthecatcommandstylecommands
> are not a valid option.  BSD!  cat du rm ls Rah, Rah, Rah!

yeah.. to do anythign in vms you need to write an essay. :)

> Then again, I have thought it might be fun to resurrect a 32V suite
> on an MVII critter.... hmmmmm..... that suite flies like the wind,
> I have read, but it is only patched for ONE particular VAX configuration.
> But, it is is our historical BSD ancestor.

32V pretty much only runs on an 11/780 with particular peripherals. The
source is in the pups archive for interested parties. Even 4.1 didnt run on
the uvII though. i dont know if it was fast or slow, ive never heard much
report of its use- it didnt use all the virtual memory features of the
VAX though, it wasnt til the BSD hackers got their hands on it that they
made it a fully paged virtual memory system.

> If 1.5 is a huge advance, and for the sake of discussion, I will take
> that point of view, then it needs a lot of optimizing on slow machines.

i am of the opinion that the advances are not inherent features of 1.5
and the hardware support, which is the only advances i see for 1.5, could
be backported to older netbsd's and we could hav eless bloat.
(personally im wishing for enough time to backport the vsbus system and
the support for some vaxstations to 4.3tahoe/reno :-)

isildur