Subject: Re: VAX 4000/400
To: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/2001 19:32:13
Pierre-Michel Ricordel drunkenly mumbled...

> Here is the magic incantation that starts UCX on my critter :
> @SYS$MANAGER:UCX$STARTUP

this worked wonders, after i checked the config first, see below.

> As Chuck suggested, you should check @UCX$CONFIG

ok, just about everything went flawlessly.  only two problems.  the first
one being:

how do i flush the current info out of the BIND configuration?  i set it up
to look to my DNS server, but i couldn't get rid of the old setup, so it's
trying to go to the previous owners DNS server which isn't gonna do me a
whole lot of good. (it never tries to look at my server since i'm 4th in the
list)

MOP:

how do i set it up? it's not part of the TCP/IP stuff (i don't really expect
it to be there, but where then? this is my new MOP server)

EARTH> telnet wintermute
%UCX-E-TELNET_GETHST, Error in getting host name
EARTH> telnet 172.16.1.4
Trying...172.16.1.4
Connected to 172.16.1.4.
Escape character is '^]'.

SunOS 5.8

login: wonko
Password:

Last login: Mon Jan 22 07:07:18 from relay.macktrucks
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic February 2000
wonko@wintermute#

i was also able to go the other way, but the way VMS insists on clearing the
screen all the time makes cut'n'paste hard.

> Just my $0.02, I am a monkey under VMS...

that puts you higher in the ranks than me. :)

overall, i'm very impressed with how easy VMS is to work.  less the unix-like
"edit these two dozen files to config the machine" and more along the lines
of "run this /very/ simple config program"  gonna take me a while to get used
to this. :)

-brian