Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/2001 17:47:45
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> Since I have all the ``antique unix'' bits from SCO, can anyone
> recommend a particular C compiler from which to start some play?
> Is the pcc in net2 the same as earlier versions?

It shoudl be the same as whats in older BSD's. The major changes were in
going from tahoe to reno, where the posix cruft was added. i'd use the
tahoe compiler & libs, myself :-)
the compiler itself shouldnt have changed much in any case, from tahoe to
reno to net2.

> I do find that we have generally become crippled to the gcc mindset,
> good, bad or ugly as that may be.  A prime example of that is trying
> to compile a TeX suite on one of the freebie BSD's.  Gotta have gcc,
> gotta have gmake, gotta have, yadayadayada, just to get it up.  Then
> I unroll my old TeX tarball I have been carrying around for a dozen
> years or more, and even 4.3BSD or Ultrix or freebie *BSD/gnu-style
> eat it up fine.

yeah. That is much more portable! the modern trends are to cater to and
come to rely on particular GNU idiosyncracies which themselves arent even
stationary targets- things made with the idiosyncracies of a gcc 2.6 have
a very good chance of breaking in very obscure and had to debug ways with
newer gcc's... ugh. let's free ourselves from these dependencies!

> I think it is becoming a coding issue, and it is getting to the point
> where it is affecting efficiency in the kernel/compilers/everywhere.
> It just takes a S L O O O W machine like my MVII critters to set it
> happen.
>
> Somehow we need some improvement in this arena or the older VAXentoyz
> won't stay afloat, anymore, and 1.4.x will be the end of the line for
> them.
>
> There I go muttering in my beer again.....(:+{{....

 hey, there are others of us who agree!

isildur