Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/2001 15:19:38
Is it time that we start seriously thinking about using a different compiler?
ANSI C extensions for pcc2 would be my recommendation, assuming i had the
time to do it.. i wouldn tbe able to touch such a project for numerous
months though. The only impediment to using pcc/pcc2 generally is that
it's a K&R compiler, and so much code written since will just barf.
Otherwise it's a fine compiler, fast, simple, and generates very good code!
(refer to the little 'dc' shootout ragge and i did between pcc2, ultrix's
cc, and gcc a while back)
It was in the net/2 distro, and thus should be unencumbered, and there wont
be problems of licenses then for it.

isildur