Subject: RE: BiggieVAX rebuilding funzies
To: 'Erno Palonheimo' <esp@cc.hut.fi>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/2001 02:14:34
Erno Palonheimo wrote:

>Hmm.  6000 has XMI and VAXBI, or whatever - if the card plugs into
>either one of them, I'll be more than happy to pay for the shipping!
>:-)

I guess Bob has a few KZMSA (XMI-->SCSI) cards spare. But before
you pay postage you may want to check whether they are supported
at all on a VAX platform. Some of the later XMI cards had
different firmware (and hence different part numbers)
depending on whether they were intended to be used on
VAX or Alpha platforms. Some other cards had firmware that
would only work on the Alpha platform (i.e. the effort
required to make VAX work at all never happened).

I believe that the XMI SCSI adapter falls into the
latter category and will not work on any VAX XMI
platform. I'm not absolutely certain of this, but I
am certain that I had access to the innards of an
DEC 7000 several years ago to "feed" my VAX 6000
and neither the SCSI XMI nor the DSSI XMI card
came across.

Regards,

Antonio