Subject: Re: v3100 formatting?
To: Kelly Hornsby <klh1964@home.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/2001 10:02:42
> I saw an older FAQ that said the only way to format a SCSI drive in a VAX
> is to do it somewhere else, like on a Sun or on a PC using a scsi controller.
> Is this true?

Nope...

Quite the reverse is true, in my experience.  If the VAX won't format the
drive, the drive is toast.

The builtin prom formatters do quite well where Sun's or PC formatters
just can't cut the mustard.  I have spent more time cussing Sun's
formatters that I care to admit.  Nowadays, I keep a stripped old
VAX 3100 chassis under the bench, and pull the drives out of my sun
boxes (and all others, too), and format them on the VAX.   (:+}}...

Use the TEST 75 on the VAX prom and be happy.

Good Luck

Bob